Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

Naming Girls

When we picked our childrens' names we had a hard time naming the girls, and have had a boy's name ready for every pregnancy. I found that the main obstacle to any girl's name was my wife's association of the name with classmates from the past. Unfortunately, she knew a lot of people and many of them had names that I liked. The second obstacle was nicknames. She was worried about what other people would call them. I didn't worry so much about what other people would call her, I worried about what I could call her. We named our youngest daughter based on my desire to call her Ginny as a nickname. From there I researched given names that commonly, or at least occasionally resulted in the nickname Ginny. Guinevere was my choice, and it slowly grew on my wife. After all, she had never met anyone named Guinevere.

150 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please limit comments to 150 words or less. Thanks and keep it clean.