Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Emergencye Preference

When I was in college in Minnesota, my roommates in the dorm would always comment that they preferred tornadoes and sub-freezing temperatures to earthquakes. I have always preferred earthquakes, not because I find them any less dangerous, but for the very reason my mid-west companions disliked them. They aren't an annual occurrence. They happen sporadically at any time, there is no earthquake season and you don't need to worry about finding the nearest earthquake cellar when the alarms go off. It was this unpredictability that drove my roommates nuts. Tornadoes only occur during certain times of the year under predictable conditions. You often have time to see them coming and do what you can to prepare. They preferred to minimize the threat and damage and hope that the localized nature of the emergency would avoid them. I prefer to just let the disaster hit and get on with the recovery.

150 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please limit comments to 150 words or less. Thanks and keep it clean.