Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Movies of Books

It took me many years, but I just came to terms with the fact that movies made from books are only loosely inspired by them. They rarely follow the whole story line. They often leave out some of the best characters. You never get the secondary plots. Content is always sacrificed for spectacle. In the end, I end up telling myself, “the movie was good, the book was good, but they were different stories, and I should just enjoy them as pieces of art by themselves.” If I try to compare them to each other, I always like the book better, the deeper development that just isn't possible in two to two and a half hours just does not compare. In all honesty, the only way I can really enjoy the movie version is to see it before I read the book. Then it is easier to enjoy both.

150 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please limit comments to 150 words or less. Thanks and keep it clean.